LOS ANGELES — The Dodgers have canceled the Trevor Bauer bobblehead night promotion scheduled for Aug. 19. Bauer merchandise is also no longer available for purchase at the team store, on the team’s website or the MLB website.
A Dodgers spokesman said the decision was made because the team “did not feel it was appropriate” to have the promotion or continue to sell the merchandise “while investigations continue by Major League Baseball and the Pasadena Police Department.”
Bauer was placed on administrative leave by MLB on Friday while it investigates sexual assault allegations against the Dodgers pitcher. The leave will theoretically expire this week. MLB can extend it but only with the agreement of the MLB Players Association. Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said he does not expect Bauer to be reinstated this week.
Bauer has been accused by a woman of choking her until she lost consciousness on multiple occasions, punching her in several areas of her body and leaving her with injuries that required hospitalization over the course of two sexual encounters earlier this year, according to a domestic violence restraining order that was filed in L.A. County Superior Court this week.
The woman was granted a temporary ex parte restraining order. A formal hearing is scheduled for July 23. At that point, Bauer can respond to the allegations.
The alleged incidents took place at Bauer’s home in Pasadena on April 21 and May 16, and are being investigated by the local police department.
Bauer had the option to appeal MLB’s decision to put him on administrative leave but chose not to. His representatives have said Bauer denies the allegations “in the strongest terms.”
This post first appeared on ocregister.com