Abia State Governor, Dr Okezie Ikpeazu, has permitted the graduation of phased redevelopment of Ariaria Worldwide Market, Aba, from Sunday, fifth September, 2021.
Recall that the administration has made a number of efforts to reconstruct the 47-year outdated market with the intention to deal with its age-long structural points with most of the outlets in addition to present the mandatory fashionable infrastructure to take care of the perennial flooding challenges notably with A-Line whereas delivering different facilities like befitting automotive parks, conveniences, beautification of the environment, improved hearth preventing capability and such different services to our merchants.
A cabal out there that had been cashing in on its present state had sought to position pointless authorized and different obstacles on the trail of presidency’s efforts and had hampered earlier makes an attempt at commencing works out there in April 2021, however within the curiosity of overwhelming public good, we’re compelled to go forward with redevelopment efforts in one of many foremost markets within the nation.
In current days, completely different social media platforms have been inundated with uncomplimentary movies of flooded A-Line that clearly additionally endangers merchants and consumers alike whereas bringing the federal government into public odium.
No accountable authorities will, within the face of such photos making the rounds on social media, sit again and watch with out taking acceptable actions to ship the a lot wanted resolution as shortly as attainable.
Consequently, after a remaining consultative assembly with stakeholders of Ariaria Worldwide Market on Tuesday, twenty fourth August, 2021, Governor Okezie Ikpeazu has permitted the phased redevelopment of the market as follows:
1. Merchants presently doing enterprise alongside A-Line, C-Line and Medical Line are to relocate from their outlets on or earlier than shut of enterprise on Saturday, 4th September, 2021 to allow the graduation of labor the next day, Sunday, fifth September, 2021.
2. These affected are to quickly relocate to Ekumi Procuring plaza or different obtainable outlets throughout the market.
3. The builders have dedicated to finishing the required work within the part which incorporates institution of correct drainage channels throughout the affected traces, building of recent outlets and parks, earlier than the primary week of December 2021.
4. Abia state authorities will by way of subsequent press releases publish the names of present store allottees who’re assured of their return to the reconstructed outlets after completion of the primary part. It is very important state that no present store allottee will lose his/her store after the work.
5. Governor Okezie Ikpeazu is predicted to personally hand again new allocation papers to all the prevailing allottees on Friday, fifth December, 2021.
6. Buying and selling actions are anticipated to proceed in different traces that aren’t affected by the primary part of the redevelopment challenge whereas the appointed builders, Messrs Blessed Henkel Worldwide Firm, are anticipated to work with the market committee and safety brokers to make sure full safety throughout the market in the course of the interval of redevelopment.
Authorities needs to guarantee merchants that it’ll work to make sure minimal disruptions to buying and selling actions whereas executing this challenge which has now been made extra pressing and essential due to the current flooding forecast from the Nigeria Meteorological Company, NiMet.
We may even not in any approach tolerate any try by any particular person or group to disrupt the deliberate work as we’ve got consulted broadly sufficient and given sufficient grace interval, lengthy prior to now, for various options which by no means yielded any significant consequence.
Lastly, we solicit the understanding and assist of all Abians as we restate our dedication to delivering a contemporary market to our individuals.
Chief John Okiyi Kalu
Honorable Commissioner for Info, Abia State